Wednesday, September 29, 2010

When Garrett Met Sammy

As Garrett and I began spending more and more time together, I knew that him meeting Sam was inevitable. As much as I knew that Garrett would be wonderful with Sam, and as much as he wanted to meet Sam, I was still really apprehensive. Too many child development classes I guess. I even told Garrett once that it might even be a year before I was ready for them to meet. Well that obviously did not happen. Things have moved quickly with Garrett and I in every sense of the word, including him meeting Sam.

Garrett wanted it to be fun when they met, so he came over and we all went to the park then had dinner. Let's just say that it did not go as we both hoped. Actually, I did not think it went badly but I knew Sam a lot better than Garrett did at that point, so I did not think he behaved that out of the ordinary. Garrett on the other hand had higher hopes, Sam was pretty stand-offish. Sam in general is not a very touchy, love-y kiddo, and it takes him a while to warm up to strangers, especially men. By the end of the evening I was left unsure of whether this would go any further.

The next day I went to work still worried, but my fears were calmed when I got a delivery of the most beautiful flowers I had ever seen, with the most thoughtful card sticking through the stems. It said:


That was on June 23rd. Since then Sam and Garrett have gotten to know each other very well, and now they are best buddies. It makes my heart so happy to see them together. And while I am aware that Sam has a father that is very much a part of his life, I am so, so thankful that he has Garrett too.

Here they are playing super heroes.

During a zoo trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment